EV Smart Charging
As electric vehicles (EVs) become more and more common on the road, the need for smart charging solutions is growing. Smart charging represents a revolution in EV charging, leveraging technology to optimise the charging experience for both EV owners and the grid. This article explores what smart charging is, its benefits, how it works and what role it plays in the transition to electric mobility.
WHAT IS SMART EV CHARGING?
Smart charging is an advanced approach to electric vehicle charging that integrates computer technology and communication to make charging more efficient and intelligent. This technology allows EV owners to control, monitor and optimise the charging experience, increasing convenience and helping to balance the load on the grid. Here are some of the key features of smart charging:
- Flexible charging speed: Smart charging infrastructure can adjust the charging speed based on factors such as electricity price, power availability, and the needs of the vehicle. This means charging can be faster when it's cheaper and slower when it's more expensive.
- Time management: EV owners can schedule charging according to their needs and the availability of cheaper electricity. For example, they can charge at night when demand is low and the price is more favourable.
- Remote control: Many smart charging stations give owners the ability to remotely control charging via a mobile app or web-based interface. This allows for easy control and monitoring.
- Integrated renewable energy management: Smart charging systems can be integrated with solar panels or other renewable energy generation. This enables charging with clean, sustainable energy and reduces the carbon footprint.
- Load balancing: Smart charging helps to balance the load on the grid by adapting charging to times of low demand. This can help avoid overloading the grid.
- Data collection and analysis: Smart charging infrastructure collects data on charging habits, energy consumption and costs. This information can help EV owners make informed decisions about charging and energy consumption.
- Payment and pricing: Smart charging systems offer easy and flexible payment and can even offer dynamic pricing based on the time of charge or electricity price.
- Network communication: Smart charging systems are often connected to a network that provides real-time information about availability, charging status and charging process to EV owners via an app or website.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SMART CHARGING?
Benefits of smart charging for electric vehicles include:
- Financial Savings: Smart charging can help EV owners take advantage of cheaper electricity prices, which can significantly reduce the cost of charging.
- Ease of use: Easy remote control and customisation give EV owners more control over their charging experience, making it more convenient and improving the customer experience.
- Environmental benefits: By integrating renewable energy and reducing energy consumption at peak times, smart charging can contribute to a reduction in carbon footprint.
- Power grid balance: By leveling the charging load on the power grid, smart charging contributes to more efficient use of electricity and can avoid overloading at times of high demand.
WHAT IS A SMART CHARGER?
A smart charger, also known as a smart charging station or an intelligent charging device, is an electronic device used to charge electric vehicles (EVs) such as electric cars and plug-in hybrids. What makes a charging station 'smart' is the ability to integrate data technology and communication to optimise the charging experience. The difference between a smart charger (smart charging station) and a regular charger (traditional charging station) lies in the level of functionality and technology they offer.
Smart charging is an advanced approach to EV charging that uses technology and communication to optimise the charging experience using smart chargers. It offers benefits such as financial savings, ease of use, environmental benefits, and helps to balance the power grid. Key features include flexible charging speed, time management, remote control, renewable energy integration, and data analytics. Smart charging plays an important role in advancing electric mobility and is a promising future charging solution.
If you want to learn more about CURRENT's smart charging solution and what our start-up process looks like, get in touch here.
Get the latest CURRENT news and industry updates.